This distro was created for 3 reasons. One, to show people just how easy it can be to use a Linux based operating system - to dispel myths about how scary Linux operating systems are, two, to help create awareness about Linux based operating systems, and three to help promote this community.
Linux Lite is free for everyone to use and share, and suitable for people who are new to Linux or for people who want a lightweight environment that is also fully functional.
You get a web browser, email, a music & movie player, cd/dvd burner, office software, voice chat, photo editor, network access tools, printing & the Linux Lite Help Manual. All the tools you need out of the box to get you up and running straight away and using Linux Lite productively as soon as you've installed it.
Linux Lite is based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with 5 years support. The following software is included: GParted, LibreOffice Writer, LibreOffice Calc, XFBurn CD/DVD Burner, VLC Media Player, Firefox Web Browser with Flash, OpenJDK Java v6, Mumble Voice Chat, Thunderbird Email, XChat IRC Client, Gimp Image Editor, Leafpad Text Editor, Xarchiver.
Points to note:
- If people join from Mumble, please tell them the push to talk key is F6 (already in the documentation) their joining name will be linuxlite.
- Linux Lite is based on Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS, if you have knowledge on Ubuntu, we would love for you to participate in the support process.
- There is no 64bit version at the moment however, this may change in the future.
- Many popular programs can be installed with one click by going to, Menu, System, Install Additional Software.
- System updates are a one click deal by going to, Menu, Install Updates.
- People coming from Windows may not know how to install drivers after a new install of Linux Lite. Many issues can be resolved by performing this simple operation. Menu, Settings, Install Drivers.
- We'll be starting a Wiki for Linux Lite soon, if you'd like to help and contribute information to the Wiki, we are looking for volunteers now (please send Valtam an email through these Forums).
- Linux Lite versioning - as there are plans for future point releases, Linux Lite will follow the 1.0.0 format. 1 representing the Ubuntu base (12.04.1) the second 0 representing a major change eg. updating to XFCE 4.10, and the 3rd 0 representing bug fix point releases.
- Linux Lite codenamed after precious Gems - The first release is codenamed Amethyst. Each major release (see above) will be named after a precious gem in alphabetical order, the first being Amethyst. The next major release will be codenamed Beryl.
- Help with Linux Lite - if you'd like to contribute your expertise to the project, for now we are only looking for Documentation writers (MediaWiki). Ideally, you will have prior or current experience in writing manuals, step-by-step documentation.
- The desktop environment for Linux Lite is XFCE 4.8. If someone comes along and asks how they can install eg. E17 or Cinnamon or LXDE on or any other DE, this falls outside the scope of our support. Support from us for the DE is for XFCE only.
The Live USB/DVD/VirtualBox user is: root there is no password (hit enter)
The image can be written to a 1gb or larger USB stick, or a writable DVD.
Full Source :